2:52 am

Old... old...

Wow. Them Ancient Greeks were an impressive people.



The Antikythera Mechanism was retrieved from a shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera in 1901, an example of the technological prowess of the ancient Greeks.

Researchers reporting in the journal Nature said they had now discovered that the device, made at the end of the 2nd century BC, used an intricate set of bronze gearwheels, dials and inscriptions to set the games' date.

The ancient Olympic Games, which marked the start of a four-year timespan called an Olympiad, began on the full moon closest to the summer solstice, which meant calculating the timing required expertise in astronomy.


Sometimes, I wonder what happened to them. I am not up on my ancient history and this might keep me happily surfing for a day or two... but... really. They seem to have given us so much of ahead start as a civilisation.


I wonder if I'd have been a happy Greek lass?

0 comments: