3:13 am

Girls night out. Sorta.


Tonight was supposed to be Flirt Night.

Flirt Night?
Ha!
Bernie and I were on the phone last night, agreeing that we were both quite peeved with the men in our lived. A night out! Cleavage! Heels! Flirting! Looking gorgeous! Yes, we determined to have a good time.

We were supposed to head down to
Boat Quay - there's a pasta place there I like - but somehow.... the conversation turned to the Hard Rock Cafe and how we cut our teeth on clubbing there. (I first stepped into HRC at age 17. So young, so young!) Then we remembered the Chicken Fried Steak. MMmmmm. Off the bus and on to the train, we changed our destination half way, as only woman are capable of, and found ourselves trekking in the direction of Hard Rock Cafe.

Damn.


Memories.

Dinner was OK, food still was pretty good, and we heard it was open mic night so we were pretty excited about this. A 3 piece acoustic band started things up and boy, those guys can *sing*. Here we are all happy, fed and watered.


Next band was supposed to be jazz but..... they TOTALLY SUCKED. A huge jangle of sounds, all sounding the same, with a really pretentious lead singer. My ears really felt assulted. And this is from the woman who can listen to Nine Inch Nails. And enjoy it.

I couldn't resist. I hailed a passing waitress and asked who they were. Turns out that one of the band members is the big big boss' son. Right. I see. So. Now we know why they cannot perform but still get centrestage.



We eventually ended up at the
1 Nite Stand, a very cool bar and comedy club. I first discovered these guys when they were playing at an old dingy club. Stand up comedy! In Singapore! You cannot fathom how rare that is.

I used to go alone to their mic nights. Alone, dammit. Place filled with expats; me, the lone asian woman, trying damned hard not to look like a pick up. Ah, good times. The acts flown in were top notch.

These guys have done so well that they now have their own venue. And the current resident band? Man, they rocked our socks off. Which was exactly what we needed at after listening to that trash at HRC. I'd load a pic but Blogger is being a testy bitch so no pics of the band. But trust me, they were great entertainment.


Ah me. To be young again.
My body cannot take the dancing. lol

0 comments: