8:11 pm

Like royalty


I didn't tell you about last night, did I?

Bernie and I headed down to Changi and ended up in the hotel. We didn't intend to eat at the hotel itself but what with the haze and my feeling so indulgent, off we went. No reservations, mind you; this was a Sat night. We weren't sure if we'd get a table.

Greeter agreed to give us a table and we sat at the end corner with J hovering around us. J is.... a little enthusiastic. He's one of the senior wait staff but he fusses over us. A lot. Announced to his younger colleagues that we were his regulars. Bought us drinks. We were already feeling a little conscious about the attention.

Halfway through the buffet line, I hear a You look familiar.
Lo! An old colleague from my Shangri La days, now the F&B Manager at the Changi Meridien. G's always asked me to all him when I visit the hotel and I never do, because I don't want the fuss. But there was no getting away from it last night. G made sure of it.

We were moved from the end corner into a central column against the glass windows/wall. Outlet supervisor was asked to take care of us, and he did. The younger staff eyed us, wondering who the hell we were. We got to have our desserts out in the lounge and we crashed against the cushions. The bottle of wine sent by G had to be returned because Bernie and I don't drink. So G halved our buffet dinner bill instead.

Fussed and mussed over, with all that attention, I really began to feel quite self-conscious.

How funny life treats us, said Bernie, You really never know who you will meet. And she never said a truer word. G was a captain at the Shang. His manager was my peer level, actually. I wonder if G treats us so well at the Meridien Changi because I never talked down to him? We were never really all that close. But I respected him a lot because G seemed pretty talented and I liked his work ethic. Perhaps that showed. And perhaps he remembered.


My god, but we were feted last night.

2 comments:

Daveidaho said...

I haven't been to singapore in decades so I probably wouldn't recognize it. I enjoy your rambling on about your ramblings about - they give another flavor to my memories. (Something like nsai goreng and Tiger beer, I suppose.)

Get some rest!
David
www.goingpostal.cc/goingpostal/blog

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

David,
You're more than welcome to share stories and anecdotes :)