6:48 pm

Idle thoughts - part 107


This has been bugging me the entire day.

It has something to do with finding out that my MasterChief's family comes from a long line of ranchers, wranglers.... heh heh, and horse thieves, baby.

Then my thoughts stray to his tastes... he enjoys country and particularly favours someone called George Straits (sp?). I've heard him, perhaps, once. But it was on a mainstream radio station so I don't know how much more country-ish he can get.

But all this is moot. Is there a difference between a cowboy and a redneck? I'm thinking there is but a little confirmation would be nice.


Help? Anybody?


UPDATE :
Ok, I guess I sort of knew they were different.
Paul was quick off the draw in pointing out they're two completely separate things.

So how's about you give me *your* definitions? What makes it Country? And what constitutes a Redneck? I'm Singaporean. It's a 26 hour flight from my country to the USA. Tell me like I'm stupid, please. *wry grin*

4 comments:

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

ok, Paul. But what are the primary differences? A curious mind wants to know!

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

GREG!
Dude.... too long, too long. I should resurrect Fatty Friday in your honour!

Thanks for the comment, it was extremely clear.

Anonymous said...

"Redneck" is generally a pejorative term used to describe ignorant people from rural/agricultural backgrounds, the idea being that one's neck got sunburned while doing manual labor in the fields. Depending on both speaker and context, "redneck" can (but does not necessarily) carry heavy overtones or implications of presumed bigotry and prejudice on the part of the presumed redneck.

(My qualifications for answering this question: I come from a long line of rednecks -- rural Southern people who farmed -- and "lintheads" - people who worked in textile mills, and I bet you can guess how they got *that* nickname, eh?)

By the way, George Strait is okay, but if you want to do the MasterChief a real favor, buy him some Guy Clark and Lyle Lovett records.

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Really?
Ok, Barry - I'll have to start searching for those 2 then. Thanks for the tip!