6:40 pm

So be it

Well, I've gone and done it.

I've signed my Advanced Medical Directive. I've informed my parents and my sister. And for some reason, I actually feel better. At least I know I won't be stuck in some coma with no way of telling people to pull the plug.

I know it sounds scary, and my sister was a little hesitant when I told her I'd signed it. And I can understand. But for me, the fact that I've made my decision ensures that I won't be a burden on anyone when I'm beyond communication. I don't want any extraordinary measures taken to allow my physical body to go on.

And if I AM in such a state, I don't want to live on in a body and not LIVE life. Bear in mind, this doesn't allow nor endorse
euthanasia (which I do approve of, in certain conditions). But it will stop the artificial prolonging of the dying process itself.

If you have any apprehensions, that's cool. We should all do this sort of thing only after serious consideration. I know it took *me* about 2 years to finally get it done. But done it I have. And I feel.... good!

There's an
FAQ on this by the Ministry of Health, so pop by if you want to know more. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. But again, I would encourage you to ask all you want. An AMD can be revoked, and who knows? I might do that in the future too. But for now?


Now I have peace of mind.

0 comments: