3:16 am

You're a moron, thank you very much.

Man calls our Home Services hotline.
Home services is a referral programme for policy holders.
We put them in touch with home contractors, if they have a problem.
Obviously, they have to pay for this service but we vet the contractors and offer  guarantees on workmanship.

It's now gone past 3am.

Man : I need some help, my pipe is leaking.
Me : Sure. Our transport fee is $XX and the contractor will quote you directly on workmanship.
Man : No, it's ok. Can you just tell me how to turn off my water supply?
Me : Erm. If you're in a HDB flat, your mains will be outside?
Man : Yah, I know, but the valve is tight.
Me : Apologies, but this is a referral service, we are not the contractors directly. Would you like me to get the contractor to call you?
Man : No, I'll call back. *pauses* Can't you just tell me how to turn off the valve?
Me : This sort of thing is usually handled by the men in my household.

There's a heavily laden pause after that. Then I chirp Goodbye! into the silence and hang up on the bugger.

I hate freeloaders.
We're not a charity.
And you're an idiot.

Yes, I can twiddle valves if I have to. And yes, I will not hesitate to pay for someone's help if I can't manage things on my own. You pay for what you get. There are no free rides. And no, I don't do this it everyone. Only the morons.


God, I love my job sometimes.........

0 comments: