1:34 am

Books


Y'know, last year when I was looking for a new author to read, I stumbled upon the Wheel of Time series. The first few were great reads. Good character development, great storyline, took my mind away and I could almost imagine the scenes being played out. I love escaping into my books.

So I continued buying the series. All bloody 10 books, I have now. And is the story done? Why, no! Bloody no! Jordan has managed to evolve the storyline into a mishmash, convoluted and confusing state of affairs. Why do they do this, I find myself muttering?

I finally found out why.
Author Robert Jordan has choosen to do prequels. OH for the love of money. Authors who milk a good thing dry never do good books in the end. Even the DUNE series done by his son & co-author seemed a little fantastically far-fetched in the end.

I've always found that a trilogy is about the right length to do a series. The most... prolly 5. Like David Eddings did with the Belgarion & Mallorean series.

Oh, I'll buy the rest, if only to see how the story ends. But I find myself doubting the ending now. It's not anticipatory anymore - no joy at a good story being told, no satisfaction when the finale is reached. Good books reach into your heart & mind with a vengence no matter what genre they come from.

Sadly, money always seems to win in the end, eh?

0 comments: